Friday, June 29, 2012

Updates from the ICU!

I feel that I must apologize to you all. I know that today is Friday and I have been publishing new content, specifically to The Case of the Two Gay Roommates every Friday. Today I do not have any content to publish. I had planned on working on it yesterday and having the next post up today for your viewing pleasure, but I was unable to do so because of unforeseen circumstances.

Wednesday night I was watching the Olympic swimming trials when the phone rang and my mum answered. When she got off the phone I walked into her room to see what was going on and she told me it had been my dad calling. My Grandma had a stroke and he was on his way home from work and was going to drive to Griffin to see her in the hospital.


I am sorry that I was not able to work on my posts. Pretty much all I have to do is write what I have in my notes as a story and I planned on doing that for the next part of Two Gay Roommates Thursday after I went to the dentist and had a tooth pulled. But my family will always come first.

After I got the news I stripped down and took a shower really quick and then threw on some clothes and readied my go bag before my dad got home. I have no clue really how I was able to get everything ready so quick and effectively, maybe it was the adrenaline or maybe it was the fact that I had had so much previous hospital waiting room experiences.

It was about an hour or so drive to Griffin and then about fifteen minutes running around the hospital trying to find the entrance to the emergency room because of construction. We finally found the ER and got back there to see her and realized that she was not where she was supposed to be according to the security guy who told us where she was. Luckily, there was a nice gentleman there with another patient who told us she had been moved to the ICU.

After walking around the world again, we finally found the ICU waiting room which our family had annexed as their own. Fortunately all of the people in there shared some genetic or marital link, because it was loud. My dad and I tucked ourselves in a quieter part of the room with Kim, his sister who was a nurse, and she told us what was going on.

All signs at that time pointed to a stroke but she had gotten to a hospital in time for them to administer some miracle reversal drug called T-pa. She showed no physical signs of a stroke, no droopy face or anything. The only sign that she initially had, and still had, was her speech. She could not get her words out, and sounded like a buffering track/babbling baby. But other than that she was doing well and they just wanted to monitor her to see if there was any side effects to the T-pa.

When my dad and I finally got back there to see her, she was so excited. She perked up and let out a squeal of delight and said, "There's my ba-bo-" and I finished for her, "boys." She covered up her face in shame. I pulled her hands down and told her that she had nothing to be ashamed of and started rubbing her hand to try to get her blood pressure to go down. We sat in there talking to her for a while and eventually she quit getting quite as frustrated with her impairment. But no matter how bad her speech was, it was wonderful to hear her speak.

Later, everyone left and it was just my dad and I, and my cousin Rusty (Kim's oldest son), who wanted to stay with us. My dad had almost instantaneously dosed off the second he sat down in one of the ICU waiting rooms most uncomfortable chairs. I on the other hand, had packed my blankey and a pillow and had removed some of the armrests from a stretch of joined chairs and made a rather uncomfortable couch. I laid there for a little while until I finally realized that I was not going to be able to sleep with the lights on and TV blaring, or with my cousin still being up walking around.

I got up, packed up my blanket and pillow in my back-pack and sat it beside my dad with a note, because I did not want to wake him, that said, "went to smoke". Not two minutes after Rusty and I left the waiting room my phone rung. It was my dad bitching me out about leaving and telling me I could not be walking around the hospital, blah, blah, blah. Dude, there are halls in the hospital. Halls are made for walking. Not to mention I am grown and "I am only going outside to smoke," I replied. After finishing with my cigarette and talking to some scary guy who bummed a cigarette off of me, Rusty and I went inside. We were walking back to the waiting room when we seen my Grandma's ICU nurse waving us over.


"She is up and talking now and wants to see her boys," she said. "Really? She is talking?" I replied. "Yes she is talking fine now and wants to see y'all," she said. I had to wake up my dad first, but when we got back there Grandma yelled, "I CAN TALK!" She was so excited that we had to remind her several times that she was in the ICU, but still we were just as thrilled as she was and talked to her for around two hours before she got to tired to continue.

So I hope You will forgive me for not posting the next installment of Two Gay Roommates, but I really did not care about working on it yesterday. I was at the hospital running on very little sleep and worried about my grandma. Not to mention that I did not even have my laptop with me. So if you are just overly pissed at me because you cannot wait another week for it, then you can just go fuck off because I really don't give a damn about this site or really anything else when it comes to my family.

Thanks and May Peace Be With You.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's crazy. Glad she is doin good. I was at the griffin hospital monday with ur other grandmother and then the next day a woman ran a stop sign and totaled my wonderfully depedant car so Wayne n I ended up at the ER to get checked out. Then Wednesday you was there with ur grandma on ur dads side. GeeZ this week has really been about the worst week in my life. And I love reading ur posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that you are okay, and you like reading my posts. At least someone enjoys them. Yeah it was one crazy week.

      Delete