Friday, July 20, 2012

The Case of the Two Gay Roommates Part VIII: The one with the break


Winter break was in about a week and all of the tension within our apartment had come to a head. Zach and I had gotten into an argument and I had said something that I should have never said; I had called him—or Carson, I am not sure—a faggot. How could I have done something like that? I did not really think that of either of them, I only had said the first thing that came to mind that I knew would do the most damage. I had been depending on Zach for transportation since my minivan, which I affectionately called Big Blue, has broken down the summer before. Because of our argument, Zach had told me that I needed to find another ride home for winter break. He had crossed some invisible line, and threatened me with not being able to see my family. How could he have done something like that? He knew how important it was to me to see them, how much stress I had been under lately, how much I needed a break. Old Zach would have never pulled a stunt like that.

Now I could be stranded in Savannah over winter break. Christmas is not that important to me anyways, for the most part, I cannot stand the superficial nature of the whole celebration, but I wade through it for one reason, to see my family. My Grandpa was diagnosed with lung cancer a few months before and I had not seen him in a long time, making this trip home for the break even more important to me. First, almost immediately after our fight, I called my mum and told her that I might need her to come and get me. I told her the basics of what had happened, not going into the details of Zach’s sexual orientation. She told me that if it came to it, that either she or my brother would come get me, but I needed to try to find a ride home first, even if it meant apologizing to Zach and begging him to take me. I hated to inform her, but that was never going to happen. I have always been excessively stubborn and too prideful to do something like that. Nonetheless, I did look for another ride home. My choices were somewhat limited though. After you singled out the people I was well enough acquainted with to be comfortable to ask for a ride home, I was left with a rather small pool.

Then remove the people that were not going anywhere near my house or even in that direction, I was left with three: John, Molly, and Morgan. John and I had become closer since that Faithful Night. If anything, we always had our two gay roommates in common. I asked him if he could swing by my brother’s house on his way home, but due to my horrible sense of geography and the fact that he was broke and could not afford the detour, it did not pan out. Then there was Molly, someone who more than anyone deserved to tell me ‘no’. I had treated her like shit for the better part of a semester, but I was confident that her outstanding moral character would prohibit her from leaving me in Savannah. I tried to appeal to her good nature, but came up empty handed. It is not that she straight out denied me a ride home, she just did not know when she would be leaving, or even if she was driving her car—she might ride home with Zach as she often did. My final option was Morgan, who lived a town over from me. I really could not blame her for saying no. We had different outlooks on life; she was emotional and I could be considered a sociopath—which I am blaming on my anti-depressant medication—and our views collided often However, I do think that the reasoning for her not to give me a ride home did turn out to be something more to do with limited space than our different dogmatic viewpoints.

I was royally screwed, either suck up my pride and honor and beg for Zach’s forgiveness or call my mum and tell her that she needed to drive around six-hundred miles, round trip, to come get me in Savannah. When I gave my mum an update, she told me that I needed to beg for Zach’s forgiveness. I tried to explain how I could not do that because of my pride and she told me I did not have to mean it. Essentially, she wanted me to lie to him and tell him that I was sorry just so that I could get a ride home. I was even further morally opposed to this option. Not only would I be begging I would be a lying and manipulating him for gain. This just did not seem right to me. I finally decided that I would try instead to heal our relationship, instead of only trying to temporarily mend it.

I had not really talked to Zach since our argument, so the first thing I had to do was break down the barrier between the two of us. It was rather easy, I simply posted a rainbow chicken—or another equally ludicrous animal that can only be found in Farmville—to my Facebook wall and fixed it to where only he could see it. After the initial dialogue started, it was easy to move to matters that were more important.  I am not going to go into the whole dialogue of the conversation, mostly because I do not really remember it, but it went something like this. I apologized for tapping on the wall, even though I did not realize that I did. I explained to him that it had pissed me off that he, instead of Carson, had come in there to get onto me. He reminded me of why he had come, instead of Carson; I would have told Carson to fuck off. I tried to explain how I felt that Carson was using Zach’s and my friendship to manipulate me, but that did not turn out so well. Zach took Carson’s side, as I figured that he would. But, Zach did understand where I was coming from. Finally, and most significantly, I apologized for calling Carson—or Zach, whoever it was—a faggot. I told him that I did not mean it and that I really did not think of either of them like that, I had only spoken  out of anger and I hoped that he could forgive me. After a bit more of talking, he finally accepted my apology.

We digressed for a while then ventured back on topic and I finally realized what was really happening. I was losing my best friend. When I told Zach this, he assured me that I was not. I wanted to believe him, I really did, but I did not. I missed having my buddy around, my confidant. I was alone and had no one to talk to about everything that was going on in my life, except maybe John but he was not Zach. I did not mention the ride home to Zach at the time. It seemed like if I was to immediately go for it, that I would seem as if that was the only reason I had apologized, which it was not. I had apologized because I had meant it. In addition, I was not quite certain that everything had been restored.

After the initial apology, I realized that I needed to talk to Zach again; I needed to let him know what was going on. I had to tell him about everything, I could not hold it in any longer. I also thought that it would be a good idea to confide in him as a way to help restore our friendship. Instead of holding in all of my anger and annoyance about Carson and the whole situation, as I had been doing, I figured it would be a step forward to try to talk to Zach about it. Maybe I could use our friendship to my advantage as Carson had used their relationship. I tried to find the perfect time, or perfect way to talk to him about it, but it never seemed right or people were always around, particularly Carson.

 Finally, one day I decided that I could no longer put it off, or else I risked losing it again and causing even further damage. I asked Zach if he wanted to go on a walk around campus, which was a code of sorts for “I need to talk to you.” As we left the apartment, we ran into Carson and he wanted to tag alone. Zach knew that something was up with me, but I said it was fine if he came so that I did not cause any more stress on our relationship. If I had said no, Zach would have obliged, but there was no point in it. Luckily, Carson is extremely AD/HD and gets distracted very easily, and before we knew it he had wondered off and it was just Zach and I. You go to love the idiosyncrasy of the AD/HD mind. We walked over to a bench in front of a live oak tree and started talking. He asked me, “What’s up?” knowing that something was bothering me. It took me some time, but I finally got to it and started telling him how I was feeling in a roundabout manner.

 It did not take long before I realized that this was not going anywhere. My wiggling around it, dropping subtle hints, and vaguely mentioning me having no one to talk to or the tension within our apartment was only leaving him confused. I gave up and dived in. I told him that I had no one to talk to anymore. He tried to reassure me that I could still talk to him, but I knew I could not. In a brazen hope of abruptness, I told him, “You are part of the problem.” He really did not know exactly how to take this. I told him that I needed someone to talk to, anyone. I felt it was right to ask first, since the majority of my afflictions were his personal business, so I asked if I could talk to my mum about it. I had expected him not to want me to, but eventually understand that I had to talk to someone or else I was going to lose it and it was not going to be pretty. Instead, he told me not to, something about the less people that know the better. The whole relationship renewal idea was not working. I needed a ride home, whether or not it was with my best friend or Zach did not matter anymore at this point. Before we got back to the apartment, I asked him if I could ride home with him. I remember his response very well, “Are you ready to stop being an ass?” I was desperate enough to be, and so I had a ride home, but still it bothered me.

On the car-ride home Molly joined Zach and I, which I was opposed to initially. I thought that a four-hour car ride along Interstate 16 would be a great opportunity to try again to talk to Zach. I was confident that he would not leave me on the side of the road. However, as I objected Zach had no problem reminding me that I could always find another ride home. What an ass he was turning into, I thought. As it turns out, Molly riding along with us was good for me, because if anything she would not leave me on the side of the road—I hoped. At around Macon, just as it started to snow a little, we finally got to a point in our conversation where I thought it applicable to steer it in the direction I wanted it to go. I tried to talk to Zach about what I had wanted to talk to him about earlier. I was hesitant, because of Molly being there, and I was sure that she would take his side, but she promised to be open minded and it turned out pretty well with her acting as a mediator. Even though we did make some strides, we did not have enough time to fully find the underlying cause of it all and I ended up being just as annoyed as I had previously been. As we approached my brother’s house, I asked him to reconsider his response to me talking to my mum about everything. He did not tell me that I could not this time, especially after I told him how unfair he was being and stressed the importance of talking, but instead he made the decision even harder by saying that I could, but he was asking me as a friend not to. Zach and Molly dropped me off at my brother’s house—my childhood home which now served as a layover for me while I waited for my parents to come pick me up and take me to their new house in Alabama. Before leaving, I told Zach, and Molly, to call me when they got home because it was starting to snow and the weather was getting especially bad in northern Georgia, where they were heading.

As the evening wore on, I began to worry about Zach and Molly, neither of them had called or texted me since leaving my brother’s house. As I settled in for the night, I decided to check Facebook—probably to harvest my crops on Farmville. I noticed that Zach was online so I had to get onto him for not letting me know that he had made it home all right. He was fine and we started talking again, this time it did not go so well. I do not really know how the conversation went, but it turned quickly into an all-out shouting match on Facebook, with Caps Lock and all. I did get a lot of stuff off my chest—you got to love the anonymous nature of written electronic communications. I pretty much told him everything that was bothering me. From how I was afraid of losing my friend and resented Carson for it, to the unspoken tension within our apartment and my annoyance at them randomly getting up in the middle of a conversation to go talk in private. I told him how I thought it was a real dick move for him to tell me to find another ride at the last minute, to hang my dependence on him for a ride over my head, and not allowing me to tell my mum about what was going on. I probably should not have mentioned the bit about the ride, because we were already arguing fiercely. He simply told me that I had all of winter break to find a ride this time.

I had initially planned on spending a few days, I think maybe a week, at my brother’s house, but soon realized that that was not such a good idea. My Nana was living there, along with my cousin. In addition to my brother and his live-in at the time—which most people would call a girlfriend, but since I knew that he did not really care for her other than paying half the bills I always called her his live-in, plus I thought she was a bitch. All-in-all I quickly realized that my brother’s house was not the place for me, I needed peace and quiet, and as much as I hate to admit it, I needed my parent’s Alabama home—which I fittingly called the winter cottage at the time. Once I finally got to my parent’s house everything more or less calmed down, which was good because I could not handle much more stress. It did not take long before my mum asked the million-dollar question that I had been trying to avoid, “So why have you and Zach been arguing so much lately?” I tried to avoid the most obvious and truthful answer, I had decided that I was going to still try to honor his wishes, as a friend. However, I swear my mum could work for the goddamn CIA; within minutes of us starting to talk, she already guessed what was going on. I tried to deflect and tell her that I did not know, but that only went so far and finally she started asking more and more direct questions. Finally, she just asked straight up, “Has Zach been sleeping in there?”
I could not lie, “Yeah.”
She was a bit shocked, and took a deep breath before asking, “Are they having sex?” I honestly did not know exactly, so I tried to play it off and told her that.
Then she asked the final question, “Are they dating?”
No denying this one, “Yeah.”
I felt bad about telling my mum, I did not really want to tell her, but it felt amazing to have someone to talk to about it. I had been holding it all in way to long, and I was ready to burst. Finally, I could talk to someone about my troubles with my two gay roommates. I did however; make her swear not to tell anyone, especially my brother and daddy. I still did not want them to be harsh and judgmental about him.

Around a week before I was to go back to college, we got a call from my grandpa. His chemo had been successful and they had shrunk the tumor on his lung enough so that they could operate. My mum and I went to Columbus so that we could be there when he had his surgery and stay in the hospital with him afterwards. His surgery took longer than expected, but it turned out okay. They ended up removing half of one of his lungs before they finally got all of the cancer out, except for the prostate cancer that took a back seat to the lung cancer. After his surgery they took him to recovery and then to ICU. As the day wore on, we lost more and more of our party until by the time night had rolled around it was only my mum, my uncle, and me.

It was the middle of the night and I knew that I was not going to sleep much, although I was exhausted from staying up the previous night with my grandpa and mum talking, so I decided to go for a walk. I had already talked to Zach previously, but nothing more than passing words, mostly I told him about my grandpa and he told me that Carson was at his house. I was bored and just wanted someone to talk to, so I called him. Initially he did not pick up, but he called back as I was standing in front of the vending machines near the cafeteria. He initially was not going to call back, because it was late and he figured I just wanted somebody to talk to—which was true—but Carson, to my surprise, had told him that he needed to. Carson figured that I would not call that late if something was not going on, shows how good he knew me. I needed a ride back to Savannah, but I also did not want to just apologize again just for the sake of transportation. This time I really wanted to apologize and mean it. I also, more than anything, wanted to actually restore our friendship. Both of us had neglected it for so long, but now as we talked on the phone, it was like old times. Sometime during our conversation, I finally realized what I had to do. No longer could I try to be friends with Zach and hate Carson, the two of them were together now and if I could not accept one without accepting the other, then I did not get either. It seems so obvious, but it was nowhere near as easy to come to this realization, as it seems. I had to become friends with Carson, if I was to be friends with Zach. I did not necessarily have to ‘buddy-buddy’ with Carson, but I at least had to respect tolerate him.

After a while on the phone, I apologized to Zach for being such an ass lately. I did not include any “but…” or anything; I had been an ass, simple. It did not really matter how justified I thought my actions were, I should not have let it happen. I did later try to attempt to try to explain them, but it was an explanation instead of an excuse. I even told Zach to put Carson on the phone and apologized to him, for being assier as of late and a general ass all semester. It was right before we hung up, when I finally asked about a ride back to Savannah. I told him up front that I completely understood if he did not want to, and that my apology was not just so that he would give me a ride. It really was not, I sincerely meant it, I was sorry. I really doubt that I had to go through all of the melodramatics, I am pretty sure that he would have given me a ride anyways, but I felt I needed to, and it worked. He agreed to stop by my brother’s house and pick me up.

Being picked up at my brother’s house meant that I had to leave the hospital sooner than I would have otherwise wanted to. The next day, my mum and I went to the Waffle House down the road from the hospital to eat and accidentally locked her keys in her car. Fortunately, we had most of the stuff that we needed and my mum’s family is from around the area. Shortly after we finished our lunch, my uncle showed up and took us back to his house to hang out for a while before returning to the hospital. We returned later that afternoon to check on my grandpa, who was still in ICU, but doing better. This was also the last time I would see him before going back to Savannah. My dad was coming that night to let us in the car and take me to my brother’s house for another layover before returning to Savannah in the morning. As I stood in the parking lot of the Waffle House, I realized that I did not want to go and leave my family, my grandpa, my mum. I missed them. I had moved to Savannah to go to college to broaden my perspective and ‘explore the world’ but as I stood there saying goodbye, I realized that my family was my world. For the first time ever, I questioned whether I had made a mistake moving to Savannah. I know that nothing that had happened over the past year with my family would have been much different if I had been closer to home, but still I could not help feeling as if I was abandoning them. I did not want to go back, but I had to.

The next morning I had to wake up early in the morning, or at least it felt that way since for the past few nights I had barely slept. My dad had left to go back to Alabama the night before so that he could work. Zach, Molly, and Carson finally arrived to get me around noon and we did not arrive at our destination until later that evening. I was back in Savannah, and it was a sad substitute for home, but at the time, it was the closest thing to it. It felt good being back, but I had a nagging feeling of wanting to return to the Winter Cottage. Partially because I wanted to spend some more time with my family, and partially because I dreaded starting classes the coming Monday, but mostly I felt that there was somewhere else I needed to be.

The year 2010, predominantly the second half will never be a year that I look back on with particular fondness. I reluctantly returned to Savannah in a new year, full of possibility and potential. Although the break was not as long as I would have liked it to be, it was long enough for me to clear my head and put things in perspective. My family was the most important thing to me, and I missed them greatly. In their absence, my friends became even more important to me than ever. If being friends with Zach meant that I had to be friends with Carson, so be it. I had to at least try. I returned to Savannah with a sincere internal promise to genuinely try my damndest to be nice to Carson, not just for Zach’s and my friendship, but because he was a person and deserved to be treated as such. 

No comments:

Post a Comment